- Agro-climatic diversity
- Land of extreme with lot of variation in altitude, temperature, rainfall and humidity with a small space of geography. Due to different climatic zone, suitable solid pockets can also be selected for growing of flowers.
- Every 7 km towards north, there are different types of climate.
- Temperature and high light intensity during winter allows production of most flowers.
- Rich in plant diversity
- Wide ranges of wild flowers are available and wide range of ornamental plants can be grown in different niches. So, flowers can be produced the year round.
- 7 thousand types of flowering plants are available in Nepal.
- 32 species of Rhododendron are available in Nepal and not available in other countries.
- 350 species of Orchids are available in Nepal out of 30000 species of the world.
- Even today, expedition to forests and mountains result in discovery of new ornamental species.
- Abundant supply of cheap labor:
- Comparatively cheap and easily available labor in Nepal is another favorable factor for growing flowers at cheaper rate.
- Facilities of micro propagation:
- First tissue culture laboratory was established in 1976 at Godawari.
- At present, three tissue culture laboratories are established in private sector and they are trying to explore external market for their products.
- Involvement of private sector:
Since 1992, FAN initiated for the amelioration of flori production and trade in Nepal. Basically, it is carrying out the activities include the following:
- Establishment of wholesale market
- Monitoring of commercial activities of flori-products
- Exploring the export potential of flori-products
- Providing technical support services to the growers and the nurserymen.
- Possibility of a collaboration with foreign companies for producing flori-products for export market
Join the conversation