- Seed propagation:
- Seed propagation is used for breeding purposes.
- Seeds are harvested after 4-5 weeks of flowering when capsule turn brown. The seeds germinate in 2-3 weeks.
- It requires 3-4 years for flowering.
- Commercially, corms (>2.5 cm diameter) are used to produce flowers in gladiolus.
- Cormels/cormlets (1-2.5 cm diameter) are the important source for increasing the number of planting material (Corms).
- The plants are lifted when leaves start yellowing and withering.
- Cormels are produced in clusters between mother and daughter corms on short stolons.
- The cormels are planted after the dormancy period (3-4 month). Flowering can be obtained in the second or third year.
- Division of corms:
- There is possibility of using corm segments for propagation purpose (Half segments).
- The large corms are cut into small pieces, each piece should have a bud and root zone.
Join the conversation