- Soil Preparation:
- Soil preparation starts with a deep ploughing to a depth of 30 cm prior to one or two months of planting.
- Flat beds are made for winter planting in Terai and raised beds for summer rainy season planting in hills.
- Spacing and Planting Density:
- Depends upon size of planting material, purpose and cultivars.
- In general, for cut flower production; 20 X 20 cm, 25 X 30 cm, 30 X 25 cm (ideal).
- Planting and Planting Depth:
- Planting of corms at 5-15 cm deep is practiced; range depends on the physical condition of the soil, weather condition and planting material.
- To obtain the large bloom all except the strongest and closest bud to the center should be removed (de-eyeing) with a sharp pointed knife or a potato peeler.
- Deep planting facilitates higher production of cormel and ensures vertical and straight growth, which prevents from lodging too.
Join the conversation