Course Content
Learn Mushroom Cultivation with Braimy – B.Sc Agriculture
About Lesson

Different toxins from mushrooms show symptoms differently. The major would be slight gastrointestinal discomfort to death.

            There are two types of poisoning.


a. Mushrooms of the genera Clitocybe, Boletus and Agaritus produces gastrointestinal poisoning.

  • The main symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, or headache.
  • The treatment involves the emptying of the stomach and the application of body fluids to avoid dehydration.

b. Mushrooms of the genera Conocybe, Psilocybe cause hallucination.

  • The symptoms appear 15 minutes after ingestion and before two hours.
  • The main symptoms are: nausea, vomiting, headache and Amnesia.

c. Mushrooms of the genera Amanita such as Amanita muscaria and Amanita pantherina produce nervous disorders .

  • Main symptoms include: diarrhea, vomiting and dry mouth.
  • The treatment involves intestinal emptying, the use of sedatives and hydration of the body.

d. Mushrooms of the genus Coprinus (C. atramentarius, C. africanus, C. insignis, C. erethisteus, C. micaceus produce coprinic disorders.

  • The main symptoms are the following: nausea, vomiting, very strong hot feeling in the head and neck, arrhythmia, hypotension.
  • Treatment may involve the use of drugs to treat hypotension and arrhythmia.


  • Severe poisoning occur after a long time of ingestion ranging from 7-15 hour to several days.
  • The main damage is seen in liver and kidney.

Among the mushroom that produce this type of poisoning are

1.Mushroom of the genera Amanita.

  • Symptoms of poisoning occur after about 8 or 10 hours after ingestion but can also occur within 24 hours.
  • They produce gastrointestinal symptoms and other symptoms indicate damage to the liver and kidney.
  • The final episode involves limb paralysis , convulsion , coma and ultimately death.

2. Mushroom of the genera Gyromitra.

  • They contain some components called gyromitrins,which are very harmful to the liver and kidneys.
  • Symptoms usually appear after about 6 or 9 hours after ingestion.
  • There is no home remedy to nullify or cure the toxicity of mushrooms. So, the final treatment would be to see a doctor.

Join the conversation
Scroll to Top