- Evaluation of the worth of plants on the basis of performance of their progenies is known as progeny test.
- This was developed by Louis de vilmorin and so it is also known as the vilmorin Isolation principle.
- Vilmorin worked on sugar beet plants. The progeny test serves two valuable functions;
- Determines the breeding behavior of a plant i.e. whether it is homozygous or heterozygous.
- Whether the character for which the plant was selected is heritable i.e. is due to genotype or not. Selections have to be based or phenotype and so it is necessary to know the genotype of the selected plant.
Join the conversation