- Natural selection changes gene freq. via natural survival
- Breeder may assist nature and discard obviously poor types
- Relieves breeder of most record keeping
- Most of us treat bulks with extremely low inputs and low expectations.
- The bulk method is a procedure for inbreeding a segregating population until a desired level of homozygosity is reached.
- Seed used to grow each selfed generation is a sample of the seed harvested in bulk from the previous generation.
- In the bulk method, seeds harvested in the F1 through F4 generations are bulked without selection; selection is delayed until advanced generations (F5-F8).
- By this time, most segregation has stopped.
Join the conversation