Merits of Plant Introduction
- It provides entirely new crop plants.
- It provides superior varieties either directly or after selection & hybridization.
- Introduction and exploration are the only feasible means of collecting germplasm and to protect variability from genetic erosion.
- It is very quick & economical method of crop improvement, particularly when the introductions are released as varieties either directly or after a simple selection.
- Plants may be introduced in new disease-free areas to protect them from damage, e.g., coffee and rubber.
Demerits of Plant Introduction
The disadvantages of plant introduction are associated with the introduction of weeds, diseases and pests.
Join the conversation