- Varieties are not uniform.
- Since no progeny test is done, the genotype of the selected plant is not known.
- Since selection is based on phenotype and no control over pollination the improvement brought about is not permanent. Hence, the process of mass selection has to be repeated not and then.
- Characters which are governed by large number of genes with low heritability cannot be improved.
- It cannot create any new genotype but utilizes existing genetic variability.
Join the conversation