- The lac segment of E. coli chromosome is known to include 3 genes for enzymes production i.e. Z for beta galactosidase, Y for beta galactoside permease and A for thiogalactoside.
- Beta galactoside permease: Responsible for transport of lactose.
- Beta galactosidase: Responsible for hydrolysis of lactose to galactose and glucose.
- The 3 genes are closely linked and regulated together.
- The genetic information of 3 genes s transcribed into a single mRNA molecule that is subsequently translated into the polypeptide chains of the 3 enzymes.
Join the conversation