- The genetic variability present among the cultured cells, plants derived from such cells or progeny of such plants is called somaclonal variation.
- The plants derived from cell and tissue cultures are termed as somaclones and the plants displaying variation as somaclonal variants.
- Somaclonal variation may occurs either for single trait (or) more than one trait at a time.
- Somaclonal variation may occur due to chromosomal abnormality in cultured cells and plants regenerated from them.
- The chromosomal abnormality may be due to changes in chromosomal number (ploidy level) and chromosomal structure.
Join the conversation