Functionally cell wall is divided into 3 regions, viz.,
- middle lamella (made of pectins),
- primary wall (cellulose, pectic substances) and
- secondary cell wall (entirely cellulose).
Fig : Composition of cell wall
- Middle lamella acts as intercellular cement which binds the cells together in tissue system.
- Pectin or pectic substances are major chemical constituents of wall layers and entire middle lamella, where as in other layers, cellulose is found in good amounts.
- Main components of cell wall are pectic substances, cellulose, hemicelluloses, lignin and small quantity of protein.
- The epidermis of plants is covered by cuticle, whose major chemical substance is cutin in addition to cuticular wax.
Join the conversation