C/O: Anguina tritici + clavibacter tritici
- Tundu disease is often known by names like “yellow ear rot of wheat”, “tundu disease of wheat”, “bacterial rot of wheat ears”, “bacterial spike blight”, and “yellow slime disease”.
- At flowering stage.
- Twisting of the stem, distortion of the earhead and rooting of the spikelets with a profuse oozing liquid from the affected tissues. Hence, the name of the disease is yellow ear rot. The ooze contains masses of bacterial cells.
- The infected plants are shorter and thicker than the healthy plants. In the distorted earheads, dark galls are found in place of kernels.
- The infected plants produce more tillers than do the healthy one.
- No grain formation.
- Ear head may not emerge from boot leaf.
Join the conversation