Causative agent: Ustilaginoidea virens (Syn: Claviceps oryzae – sativa)
- Affects only panicle initiation to maturity.
- Individual rice grain transformed into a mass of velvety spores or yellow fruiting bodies
- Growth of velvety spores enclose floral parts
- Immature spores slightly flattened, smooth, yellow, and covered by a membrane.
- Growth of spores result to broken membrane
- Mature spores orange and turn yellowish green or greenish black
- Only few grains in a panicle are usually infected and the rest are normal.
Join the conversation