- Acidosis: accumulation of acids, excess loss of bicarbonates.
- Acetyl CoA: chief precursors of lipid, imp intermediate of kreb’s cycle.
- Alkalosis: reduction of acids or increase of base
- Basal metabolism: energy needed by body for maintainance when the person is at physical, digestive and emotional rest.
- Beri-beri: d/s of peripheral nerves caused by Thiamin deficiency
- Beta-oxidation: breaking down fatty acids into 2-carbon fragments of acetyl-CoA residue.
- Cheilosis: swelling and reddening of lips.
- Cholesterol: fat related compound, a sterol, normal constituent of bile and principle constituent of gall stone, precurssor of sex hormones and adrenal corticoids, synthesized by liver.
- Chyme: semisolid fluid mass after gastric digestion.
10.Diuretics: agents that promote urine excretion.
- EAA: indespensible to life and growth, must supplied through diet.
- EFA: fatty acid necessary to body i.e. linoleic, linolenic and arachidonic.
- Gastritis: infalmmation of stomach.
- Geophagia: clay eating
- Glossitis: swollen and reddening of toungue, due to riboflavin deficiency.
- Glycosuria: high concn. Of glucose in urine.
- Goiter: inflammation of thyroid gland due to lack of iodine to produce thyroxin.
- Hematuria: blood in urine.
- Haemopoiesis: formation of blood.
- Keratinization: epithelial cell slough off, dry, flattened, harden, form rough horny scale due to vit. A deficienct, mostly in; resp., digest., genito-urinary tract and skin.
- Kwashiworker: syndrome by protein deficiency
- Malnutrition: syndrome due to poor diets, over eating.
- Metabolism: production of energy for functioning.
- Myoglobin: m/s protein that contains iron.
- Obesity: excessive adipose t/s, more than required for body function
- Neoplasm: new or abnormal growth.
- Night blindness: inability to see at night due to lack of vit. A.
- Oligouria: reduced amount of urine in comparison to water intake.
- Osteomalacia: bone softening, due to impair mineral uptake, due to calcium and vit. D Deficiency.
- Pellegra: due to lack of niacin, and amino acid tryptophan (precursors of niacin) i.e. 3D d/s (dermatitis, diarrhoea, dementis/death).
- Xeropthalmia: cornea and conjuctiva becomes dry.
- Tetany: caused by abnormal Ca-metabolism.
- Wilson d/s: hereditary d/s, copper absorbed in brain liver and liver t/s.
Join the conversation