– When the dietary intake of energy is insufficient for short periods, body reserves may be substituted for energy needs.
– When the dietary intake is insufficient for long periods, disease results.
– Young children : growth failure and in some cases death.
– Adult : weakness and fatigue, loss of weight and wasting of tissue.
– There is the appearance of sluggishness or lethargy.
– Mental changes : depression, moodiness and tiredness.
– Pregnancy : no. of still birth and infants death is higher.