- Synonyms: Lock jaw disease
- Characterized by convulsions and death
- Clostridium tetany
- Through infected soil
- Port of entry is usually through deep puncture wounds.
- Injury can remain dormant for many years until favorable condition are met.
- Injury à Invasion by tetanus spores à germination and proliferation of spores à release of neurotoxin à interrupt the nerve impulse transmission à paralysis à death due to asphyxiation
- Incubation period is 3-10 days in horse and cattle and 3 days in sheep.
- Mastication prevented by tetany of masseter muscles.
- General stiffness, drooling of saliva from mouth.
- Adoption of saw horse posture
- Increased body temperature and profuse sweating
- Tetanic convulsion and finally death
- Based on clinical signs and symptom
- Muscular dystrophy, white muscle disease.
f) Treatment and control:
- Immunization with formaldehyde-inactivated tetanus toxin ( TeNT).
- Wound cleaning, antibiotic treatment
- Injection of TeNT immunoglobin are recommended.
Join the conversation