- Acute, soil borne disease of mammal.
- Characterized by septicemia and sudden death by exudation of blood from natural orifice.
- Absence of rigor mortis
- Bacillus anthracis
- Incubation period is 1-7 days
- Ingestion and inhalation of spores
- Entry of organism through wound
- Ingestion of spores à infection through intact mucous membrane à proliferation of bacteria à spread to blood stream à septicemia
- Fever up to 1070F, muscle tremor, respiratory distress, convulsion and death
- After death, exudation of blood from natural opening, bloating and lack of rigormortis.
- Constipation and diarrhoea
- Edem of throat, sternum and flank
- Signs and symptoms
- History of sudden death
- Swab collection and testing
- Isolation and identification of bacteria
f) Differential diagnosis:
- Sudden death of animal
- Acute infectious anaemia
- Lead poisoning in horse
g) Prevention and treatment:
- Regular monitoring and schedule vaccination of animal
- Disposal of infected animal
Join the conversation