- It has been found useful in controlling insects. Pheromones are the hormones with such a potentiality.
- Pheromones are the principal means of communication & are useful for sending alarm signals for mating.
- By the use of pheromones, mating behaviors of insects can be controlled.
- Pheromones are species specific & secreted by female & detected by antennae of males.
- If traps are made by using synthetic analogues (similar) of female pheromones, males are attracted towards the trap & could be eventually eliminated.
- Males are thus not available for reproduction & the population of insects can be greatly checked. This technique is used in Gypsi moth population control.
Join the conversation