- The site of the fermentation allows for the digestion and then absorption of fermentation products that are valued to host animal: various fatty acids like acetic acid, propionic acid, and butyric acid etc., B-Vitamin, microbial steak which satisfy the protein requirement of the host.
- Both quality and quality of dietary protein is upgraded since poor quality proteins, other dietary nitrogenous compounds are used by the ruminal microbes for the synthesis of good quality microbial proteins.
- Selective retention of coarse particle extends fermentation time and allows for further mechanical breakdown during rumination. (Cud chewing).
- The considerable amount of fermentation gas; mostly CO2 and CH4 can be easily reduced from the system by eructation.
- Microbial attack on the food stuffs is optimized by the large input of saliva to provide a highly buffered medium between pH 6 and 7 with a consistency that permit effective mixing by ruminal contraction.
- A toxic substance that may be present, in the diet is attacked by the microbes in the rumen.
Join the conversation